At the last full moon I set the intention that by the following new moon I would launch my little blog, so what better way to kick things off than with a new moon reading! This lunar phase is all about letting go of what holds you back and inviting in new energies that can light the way on your path forward. For this reading I decided to use the Tarot of the Hidden Realm, a much loved deck of mine that has a particular Fae flair for illuminating the natural cycles always at work, but often unnoticed, around us.
- The theme of the upcoming month
- In the Dark: hidden challenges
- In the Light: energies that can assist you
- Waning: what to release
- Waxing: what to invite
Summary: This month is a time for introspection and seeking balance. Find ways to ease the pressures you feel to be hyper-productive or in control, and jump on any opportunities to let off some steam and take your mind off of your work or obligations. Once that pressure valve has been released, just sit with yourself and explore what it is you really want and what you are working towards. Adjustments will be much easier to make once you’ve allowed yourself to take a step back.
1. The overall theme for this lunar month is the moon herself! The High Priestess holds out her hand and beckons you into the hidden depths of your heart and mind. She asks you to open up to your inner senses and allow yourself to be guided by your intuition – do what you feel is right, even if it doesn’t yet make sense. If you’ve been having any niggling feelings of uneasiness or doubt, now is the time to confront them. If you’ve been feeling yourself pulled or drawn to a new path, now is the time to explore that. Any of those hunches you haven’t quite been able to put your finger on will start to make sense if you can just find a moment of still quiet to let the High Priestess of your instincts guide you.
2. The King of Pentacles here suggests that you will be feeling the effects of challenges to your sense of security. Maybe money is a bit tight, you’re struggling to meet commitments or can’t find practical solutions to ease the strain on your resources. Whatever is going on, the idea of material prosperity and ease may be looking like little more than a pipe dream right now. Put aside your conscious expectations of what you should be doing or what your life should look like, put aside society’s price-of-everything-value-of-nothing attitude towards wealth, and take a long, deep breath. What do you have that enriches you? What little pleasures make you feel prosperous? Focus on what is attainable right now.
3. The Six of Wands presents us with an image of magical mastery. The energies that you need to get through this month are within you – be confident, be optimistic. There is power buzzing underneath the skin of your fingertips, have faith that you have what it takes to achieve your goals and be assured that when opportunities and challenges arise, you will know what to do.
4. The Page of Pentacles is all about study, work and apprenticeships; she has an almost singular focus on gaining knowledge, experience and know-how on the material plane. As something to release, this page suggests that it’s time to take a step back from all the work you have been doing, to check-in with yourself and look at the bigger picture. What have you been neglecting in your periphery? Make time to examine your emotional needs, lighten up, relax, meet with friends, do whatever you need to detach for a bit and ease the pressure off of yourself.
5. It is time to invite a little balance and inner calm into your life. Here I see Temperance as amplifying the message of the Page of Pentacles. Whatever it is that has been drawing most of your focus and using up most of your energy this past month needs to be put to rest, even if just for a night. In a very literal sense, invite yourself for a hot bath, or a movie or a good night’s sleep. Do something gentle and enjoyable that invites a feeling of contentment and restores your sense of equilibrium. Allow yourself a moment to feel warm, safe and complete, just as you are.
Tarot of the Hidden Realm by Barbara Moore and Julia Jeffrey, published by Llewellyn